Monday, March 11, 2013

Emerald City No. 3 Boom!

While in Seattle I was able to spend a decent amount of time talking to most of the editors and artists of Boom!  Studios.  Filip Sablik was seriously inviting and approachable, and spent some time talking to me about what it is like working with deadlines and artists who are rising starts.

Mike Kunkel, creator of Herobear and the Kid, took a long time to tell me about general artistry.  I told him that Terry Moore had sent me over to talk to him, and had called him "one of the finest cartoonists working today," and he laughed and said that he couldn't hold a candle to Moore's work. 

Still, that's high praise.

This time showing my portfolio was different than it used to be, similar to the reception I received at Rose City.  It is equally encouraging and humbling to be giving the amount of serious time and focus which I am starting to get from creators, and a fulfilling payoff to the years of self publishing.

Onward and upward, right?

- J.




No comments:

Post a Comment